The BSA A10 Golden Flash first appeared in 1950. In terms of engine layout, it was a classic British parallel twin. BSA were based in Birmingham - at their Small Heath factory. 1971 saw the legendary motorcycle marque hit the buffers, financially. They were bailed out by the Norton Villiers Triumph conglomerate. But, BSA's best days were behind it. Indeed, the last bikes off the production line wore the Triumph logo.
The A10 was nothing if not practical. British-built bikes were known to suffer the odd oil leak, back in the day. Not so, the A10! Economical and efficient, it was eminently reliable. Its 35bhp engine delivered user-friendly power. The A10's top speed was just a tad shy of the 'ton'. On the handling side, the '54 model sported a shiny new swing-arm. That was a big improvement on its 'plunger' predecessor.
Design-wise, the Golden Flash was a good-looking bike. Its BSA motor was a metallurgical masterpiece. The down-pipes splayed around an intricate semi-frame. In both engineering and styling, then, the BSA A10 displayed the best of British solidity. 'Flash' by name ... but not by nature!